Between 1860-3 Sir George Gilbert Scott restored this church, including adding the south aisle and enlarging the east window as well as replacing the other windows. He removed the galleries and re-seated the church, opened the tower arch as well as carrying out repairs to the roof and general repairs to the building. The church was reopened in 1862 although work on the tower was not completed until the following year.