After the east parapet blew down in 1861, Scott was called in to undertake a restoration of the Abbey by Dr Williamson, the vicar. This was carried out between 1862-5 and included rebuilding the south chapel, opening up the interior of the lantern to reveal wall panelling and adding a ringing platform or cage for the bell ringers. He removed the box pews, plaster, whitework and galleries. Wall painting at the east and west ends was completed by Clayton and Bell in 1864. The west window was renewed, as a memorial to Williamson, as well as the windows in the apse. New fittings including pews and stalls were provided. Collins of Tewkesbury was the builder. Tower pinnacles were added in 1871.